We have spent ages trialling lots of different Chinagraph/Grease pencils and have finally found the best – Staedtler Lumocolour Glasochrom permanent pencil. We both use them for route planning and for out on the hill.
- Wood cased pencil – won’t go soggy
- Permanent and waterproof writing
- Writes well on laminated and wet laminated maps!
- Can be knife sharpened in the field
- Smudge resistant
Pencils verses Pens
We made the simple distinction of using the pens indoors for planning and the pencils when navigating, with the exception of one pen always on a rucksack strap (See Lumocolor Pen Expert Tips)
- These are permanent pencils and have good resistance against rubbing off in the field or being washed off by inclement weather. Use a pre-injection medi-swab to clean your annotations of your map at the end of the day!
- Cut the pencils in half to make them easy to store
The Shaven Raspberry three colour protocol for map annotation
This protocol will help you in planning your trip marking everything from your proposed route to noting the local magnetic declination. In SAR they can be used to plan your mission define search areas and make notes on route and assist with dynamic decision making in the field.
- Mark current location, as in thumbing the map
- Mark waypoints
- Cross-hatching danger areas
- Plotting bearings: Resection and intersections
- Escape routes
- Perimeters/borders of areas of demarcation
- Search areas
- Writing notes
- Grid reference
- Telephone numbers etc.
Pack 3 pencils – Red, Blue & Black Price – £5.49