We have spent ages trialling lots of different chinagraph pencils and have finally found the best – Staedtler Lumocolour Glasochrom permanent pencil. We both use them for route planning and for out on the hill.
- Wood cased pencil – won’t go soggy
- Permanent and waterproof writing
- Writes well on laminated and wet laminated maps!
- Can be knife sharpened in the field
- Smudge resistant
Pencils verses Pens
We made the simple distinction of using the pens indoors for planning and the pencils when navigating, with the exception of one pen always on a rucksack strap (See Lumocolor Pen Expert Tips)
- These are permanent pencils and have good resistance against rubbing off in the field or being washed off by inclement weather. Use a pre-injection medi-swab to clean your annotations of your map at the end of the day!
- Cut the pencils in half to make them easy to store
Price – £1.95 each. Choice of colours – Black, Blue and Red.