We’ve tried them all (well it feels like it) from British Army Hexamine stoves to the Jetboil Flash, which, when you have bought the pot stand and fuel which are sold separately, will set you back a bonkers £125 and we have discovered a clear winner – The Wild Woodgas Stove IIt and the best part is that it burns naturally found fuel – Wood (the gas comes from the pyrolisation of the wood!) What makes this Wild Woodgas IIt stove so efficient is the double wall construction which preheats secondary air and vents it around the top of the stove, this allows heated air to ignite and burn the unburnt fire gasses resulting in a more efficient, cleaner burn, taking approximately 5 minutes to boil 500ml of water. All the brilliant reviews on Amazon and hundreds of videos on YouTube attest to this.
We really love this compact stove and were disappointed that we could not get hold of enough stock to satisfy demand. We were delighted to receive a call from the guys at Wildstoves informing us that new stock was now available and would we like to place an order for the 2018 undated version…no hesitation there Yes Please!
The updated 2018 model features –
- A stronger and more versatile pot support
- Any size of pot can now be used even a mug!
- The new design avoids the need for weld points
- More robust for heavier loads without increasing the weight
£32 buys you the best Woodgas stove you can get, here’s why:
The Wild Woodgas Stove IIt:
- Will never run out of fuel so long as you have access to a few twigs!
- Quickly generates high-temperatures, with a clean burn so it cooks your food rapidly
- Distributes heat evenly, with no pan hotspots where food sticks
- Secure footprint, so you don’t need pan-stabilisers and it can take large pots
- At 280 grams it is truly lightweight and very compact when packed away in its bag
- Ingenious – as in intelligent design, with pre-heated air injected into the top of the combustion chamber to mix with the remaining smoke (Ok this is a personal thing but if a stove could have beauty this would be the winner of the pageant!)
- The stove packs down small for compact packing, with space inside for fuel & firelighting gear. What’s more, the whole lot packs into a billy can: The MSR 775ml Stowaway is one of the best fits
- It will also burn solid fuels (like hexamine) or meths in a Trangia-style burner (the stove acts as a wind shield)
- Manufactured from precision 0.26mm 304 – Grade High Temperature Stainless Steel
- Dimensions – Assembled Diameter 12.5 – 13.6cm (base wider than the top), H 16.3 cm, Packed – Diameter 12.5 – 13.6cm (base wider than the top), H 6.6 cm
- Comes with a stuff sack for storage and transport
Top Tip – The Woodgas stove works brilliantly with wood pellets, these are dense and long burning, carry a small bag of pellets inside your stove to save you foraging for fuel!
Warning – Outdoors use only, Never Ever use in a tent.